My Way
 • home | my page | my email
 . 
 news    home | top | world | intl | natl | op | pol | govt | biz | tech | sci | entertain | sports | health | odd | sources | local
 AP • New York Times • CBS • USA TODAY • FOX News • Photos

Judge Allows 9/11 Lawsuits to Go Forward
 Email this Story

Oct 17, 9:02 PM (ET)

By LARRY NEUMEISTER


NEW YORK (AP) - A federal judge on Tuesday refused to toss out claims by thousands of emergency workers who sued New York City and about 150 private contractors after the workers were sickened by dust at the World Trade Center site.

Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein dismissed claims against Consolidated Edison Co. and companies controlled by developer Larry Silverstein, saying they did not have legal control over the area and therefore were not liable for damages.

But Hellerstein said the city, its contractors, and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey were only partially immune from lawsuits, with the precise scope and extent of the immunity varying according to date, place and activity.

Andrew J. Carboy, a lawyer for plaintiffs, called the judge's decision "a first step forward in the legal system for these other victims of 9-11."

Carboy, who represents 210 clients, mostly firefighters, said Hellerstein's decision comes as the number of people making claims climbs as high as 8,000.

Michael A. Cardozo, the city's top lawyer, said a close study of the facts surrounding the claims will show that the city and its contractors were not liable.

Hellerstein said he will appoint a special master to help eliminate claims that should not be pressed and oversee a case that is "likely to become unmanageable."

"If even a minority of the plaintiffs suffered serious injuries to their respiratory tracts arising from the acrid air of September 11, their claims deserve to be heard when a recovery could make a difference in their lives," the judge wrote.

He said the defendants also are entitled to swift resolution. "The scar to the public interest needs to be cleansed, speedily, in good time," he said.

The workers claim the city and contractors were negligent in monitoring the air and assuring the safety of crews who cleaned up the World Trade Center site for months after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

The judge noted that a study released in September showed that approximately 70 percent of the 10,000 workers who were tested reported that they suffer from new or substantially increased respiratory problems since 9/11.

"The workers at the site were presented with a dangerous environment, below and surrounding their work activities, threatening their health and safety," the judge said.




 other national news    

 Storm Blacks Out Parts of Northeast 
 Boy Had Web Access, Apparent Profiles 
 Martin Luther King Papers Go on Display 
 Clues Sought in W.Va. Fire That Killed 9 
 Kentucky Train Crash Releases Chemicals 
 Cold Snap Destroys Most Calif. Citrus 
 Venezuelan Oil Reaches Alaska Villages 
 Sharpton Calls for NYC Police Summit 
 Mourners Quietly Reflect at King's Tomb 
 FBI Probes Fatal Ariz. Border Shooting 


  email this page to a friend


Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All right reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.



 


Spread the Word  |  We're Hiring

My Settings: Overview | Search | Email | Chat | Portfolio | Calendar | Groups | Profile

IMPORTANT: We do not present our users with pop-ups or any other non-contextual advertising. Nor do we send email to
our users. If you see or receive one of these items, it is coming from an outside source, either as a result of something you
have previously downloaded or as an "exit" pop-up from the site you just visited. It is not coming from our site.

Privacy Policy   Terms of Service   About Us   Our Mission   Sign In   Sign Out   Help Center

2007 IAC Search & Media. All rights reserved.

Partner Sites: Citysearch | CollegeHumor | Pronto | LiveDaily | Expedia | Hotels | Hotwire
Excite | Fun Web Products | iWon | Smiley Central