Many Eyewitnesses Saw Flight 93
This page describes accounts of eyewitnesses on the ground who saw and heard the last minutes of Flight 93. Eyewitness accounts relating to Flight 77 are treated under the Pentagon Attack Eyewitnesses page. Accounts given by callers claiming to be onboard the doomed flights are considered on the Phone Calls page.
The accounts excerpted here corroborate analysis based on other bodies of evidence that Flight 93 was shot down, not crashed as the result of a struggle, as the official story holds.
Virtually all eyewitnesses to Flight 93's crash reported that the plane plunged straight down after making erratic movements. The two accounts in this section and several in the following section are examples.
"It dropped out of the clouds," too low for a commercial flight, Butler said. The plane rose slightly, trying to gain altitude, then "it just went flip to the right and then straight down." 2
Sounds Indicating a Missile Strike
Several witnesses reported hearing bangs before seeing Flight 93 flying in an erratic manner. Some described the engines making strange sounds following the bangs.
Laura Temyer and an unnamed male witness both describe two loud bangs before the crash.
"I heard like a boom and the engine sounded funny," she told the Daily News. "I heard two more booms -- and then I did not hear anything."
What does Temyer think she heard? "I think the plane was shot down," insists Temyer, who said she has twice told her story to the FBI. What's more, she insists that people she knows in state law enforcement have told her the same thing, that the plane was shot down and that decompression sucked objects from the aircraft, explaining why there was a wide debris field. 4
Linda Shepley reported hearing a single loud bang before the crash.
A witness described the plane making screeching sound as it turned downward.
Phone Call From Passenger
Reports of a call by a passenger on Flight 93 provide further evidence of a missile strike.
"We confirmed that with him several times and we asked him to repeat what he said. He was very distraught. He said he believed the plane was going down. He did hear some sort of an explosion and saw white smoke coming from the plane, but he didn't know where.
"And then we lost contact with him." 8
Other reports since identified the passenger as Edward Felt.
Various other reports provide evidence that Flight 93 was shot down. A Mirror.co.uk article contains the following report about the contents of Flight 93's cockpit voice recorder:
Witnesses at Indian Lake, at least two miles from the crash site, reported small debris raining down on the lake.
Light debris was also found eight miles away in New Baltimore. A section of engine weighing a ton was located 2,000 yards [...] from the crash site. 10
2. The crash in Somerset: 'It dropped out of the clouds', Pittsburgh Post Gazette, 9/12/01 [cached]
3. We Know it Crashed, But Not Why, The Philadelphia Daily News, 11/15/01 [cached]
4. We Know it Crashed ..., The Philadelphia Daily News, 11/15/01
5. No Survivors Reported In Pennsylvania Plane Crash, Cleveland News Channel 5, 9/01 [cached]
6. Hijack Ends in Pennsylvania Crash, ABCNews.com, 9/12/01 [cached]
7. No Survivors Reported ..., Cleveland News Channel 5, 9/01
8. Day of Terror: Outside tiny Shanksville, a fourth deadly stroke, Pittsburgh Post Gazette, 9/12/01 [cached]
9. What Did Happen to Flight 93?, mirror.co.uk, 9/12/02 [cached]
10. What Did Happen ..., mirror.co.uk, 9/12/02
11. Flight 93 Eyewitness Accounts, www.flight93crash.com,