Evidence Surviving the Cleanup Operation
Although the physical evidence was destroyed,
photographic, video, and eyewitness evidence survives.
This evidence shows:
- Dust and fragments were ejected from the towers at high velocities.
- The tops of the towers exploded into descending mushrooming
clouds of dust.
- The mushrooming dust clouds remained centered
as they devoured the towers.
- The dust clouds grew to volumes several times the buildings' volumes,
and covered Lower Manhattan with dust.
- The non-metallic components of the towers and their contents
were pulverized to sub-100 micron dust.
- The steel superstructures were shredded.
- Intense heat in the basements melted the foundations of the core columns.