Destruction of Evidence
The evidence of the 3 largest structural failures in history --
the structural steel --
was removed and recycled as quickly as possible.
- The city accepted a plan by
Controlled Demolition Inc. for the recycling of the steel,
11 days after the attack.
- The steel was sold to scrap metal vendors for a low price.
- The vast majority of the steel was quickly removed to ships
destined for blast furnaces in India and China.
- New infrastructure was built to accelerate the removal.
- Investigators were barred from Ground Zero,
except for one "guided tour".
People were threatened with arrest for taking photographs.
- The evidence destruction operation was conducted over
the concerted objections of victims' family members
and the firefighting community.